AmidstStorm wrote:From memory don't the black label bosses die quicker? what's the other fundamental differences?
Differences that I can remember:
1, only one shot type per character as opposed to 2; the new shot type is sorta like the two old ones combined. I think the weapon is a LITTLE stronger.... maybe..... but it seems to me that the bosses take just as long as they ever did.
2. Original mode: Scoring changes here, first of all, the amount of gems between color-switches for the counter is changed; in 1.5 it's what, about 500? I think it's 1000 in BL, if I recall. Also, Original now encourages point-blanking; if you are really close to an enemy as you hit it with your attacks, it'll generate extra gems. These add up fast, so it's a good risk-reward system. Also, rank changes. You can get a MUCH higher overall counter in this mode, and the rank..... well..... lets just say it can get a bit REALLY FREAKING INSANE. Try going into training mode and setting the counter to 100,000.... You'll see what I mean fast. The nice part is, the rank is ENTIRELY attached to the scoring; only the very high level players are going to get the super-crazy rank, so it's not like Psikyo where you hit a certain point and the game eats you.
3. Maniac Mode: Scoring changes here are mostly based on how the chaining works. If you can call it chaining. It's still the same scoring system in a general sense, but..... well, it's hard to explain. Experiement with it. I like this version of Maniac muuuuuuuuuuuuuch more than 1.5.
4. Ultra mode is replaced with God mode. Uses MOST of the same patterns, but they're a little slower, and some things are changed (like the rocks in stage 1 dont burst, and the ice spikes in stage 2 dont become a crazed tornado of insanity). This is still a VERY hard mode.... beating it seems akin to beating Ultra in the first game, though maybe not AS hard, but at the same time, it's more accessible, which is to say, it's somewhat accessible. Ultra in 1.5 is NOT accessible whatsoever; only the best of the best need apply, and even then, they're probably gonna get wrecked. God mode has a muuuuuuuuch better learning curve and difficulty curve overall. You still need to be very, very good to beat this mode..... but you dont need to be a complete expert to get SOMEWHERE in it. The only really nasty difficulty spike is stage 3. The first half isnt too bad. The second half WILL EAT YOU. Other than that, well, the difficuly doesnt really do any other really wild leaps. God mode's scoring is also very different from Ultra, it's basically an enhanced version of Maniac BL's scoring. Max counter is 30,000 instead of.... er..... whatever max is in Maniac BL, 9999 I think? Ah, I dont remember. Scoring flow is, build up as much as you can, max that out, and then "cash it in" on screen-clearing foes when there's 8 squillion bullets on the screen. It's an interesting system, really. The only other game I can think of that focuses so much on screen-clearing is Ketsui's arrange mode. There is a "true" final boss in this mode, but good luck getting to her; you must go through the entire game and defeat Larsa without dying even once. This being a Cave game, the difficulty balance still doesnt always make a whole lot of sense. Like the bosses: The stage 3 boss is a nightmare. The stage 2 midboss is pretty freaking nasty. Stage 4 boss? .....total pushover. Stage 5 midboss is also a wimp. And then Larsa at the end will just WRECK YOU, at least they got THAT one right.....
5. Original and Maniac are easier, to a point. It's still a difficult game of course, but these arent as mean as the 1.5 versions are. Unless you get that counter really high in Original, that is.
6. Various other small tweaks that you may or may not actually notice.
All in all, I like the BL versions more than 1.5. The scoring is just SO much better, and the difficulty balance makes more sense, and if this goddamn keyboard does that ONE MORE BLOODY TIME I'm gonna rip the windows key off and throw it in a lake. Seriously, getting tired of retyping stuff because some dimwit thought that key was a good idea.